Friday, July 18, 2008

Professional Education Blog

I enjoyed reading chapter 2 in our text on the teachings profession. My mother is an elementary school teacher. Like the text said, my mom does work less hours and she is paid less. My dad is a teacher and coach in high school. He works more hours and is paid more because of his additional stipend for football. The basketball coach that I did my interview with is a middle school Math teacher. She said that most of her day is spent in direct instruction. She also said that she is able to spend time in planning with other members of her grade level team. Like the text, she said that she spent the least amount of a typical day doing testing and monitoring types of activities. I also read about the idea of block scheduling. I was able to experience block scheduling in my high school. I agree with the book. Block scheduling is less distracting. I felt the day went by faster because you were only going to four classes per day. The ninety minute class time gave more time for testing. I liked the fact that teachers had time to lecture and they were able to give us additional time for group and individual types of response work.. We had to have a great deal of parent involvement to help make a smooth move to the block schedule. I want the parents of my students’ involved in my class. I understand that I will need to work extra hard to get the parents of my students involved in the class. But I know that is important for the parent to be involved in helping the student succeed in both the classroom and in athletics.

No comments: